Sunday, December 27, 2015

May the Force be with you!

by: Rachel Bustamante
 
I was very excited to receive the shirt. I thought about what message I wanted to get out to the world. I know, for me personally, education was what changed my life.  So I decided to take pictures of what matters to me. I graduated here in Logan from Utah State University. I'm a proud Aggie. They invested in me so I can invest in others. Largely because i graduated from college, my 15 year old son Michael fully believes he can make it through college as well. This belief gives him a better chance at making his life mean something. His possibilities are endless. So, he agreed to help me document the best here in Logan. 


First we went to the Utah State mascot, the big bull.  The inscription states, "Meet the Challenge," which everyone in the PGV program has done beautifully.  Our challenge is to change the world, one small step a time. We not only have met it, but rather exceeded it, and I believe we will continue to do so.
 

 
Then we took a picture with a statue of USU's star football player, Merlin Olsen.When I was a child, I used to watch him on television in Little House on the Prairie as Mr. Garvey.  He was always one of my favorite actors.  I admired his values, his strong faith in a Higher Power, and his love for his family, and his selfless giving to others. I didn't know I was attending his alma mater until after my first semester. I strive to be a person like that.


We then went and took a picture with a statue of Edith Bowen, an influential Utah educator.  The school at USU that is named after her is a charter school for children.  They are giving these children a chance at unlimited dreams and opportunities.  They also mentor and teach future teachers. 


Next, we took a picture with a statue of a mountain man.  Michael thought it would be a good idea to include men in our PGV project. He stated that men should care about this too.  This statue represents, to me, overcoming hardships and working with what you have rather than wishing for what you don't.


After all this, Michael wanted to help add some fun.  So, since it is the holiday season, we decided Santa Claus should be involved.  He is a worldwide symbol of generosity and caring.  This is something I'd like to see our PGV cohort become as well.  So, it was pet night.  We took our cute little "Wookie/Ewok mix" dog and had a talk with Santa.  We explained what we were doing. He was more than happy to participate and admired the PGV cohort for taking on these issues.  He even said he would wear the shirt if we called and had it approved! For us, it was enough that he cared.


Lastly, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan.  Geek is the new chic! LOL So I couldn't end my post without making a reference to Star Wars.  I had Darth Vader generously wear my shirt.  After all, this is a classic case of a good guy gone bad who redeemed himself in the end.  This shows that there is always hope.  I believe our PGV cohort is a force to be reckoned with.  So, may the force be with you! 
 
-Rachel Bustamante

No comments:

Post a Comment